sunnuntaina, toukokuuta 28, 2006

Two pairs of whites

White is not an easy colour when it comes to shoes. It can often look tacky or tasteless, and for the most, it is only appropriate during summer time. Years ago, I always had a white garderobe for the summer which I loved, but at some point I gave that up for some reason. I guess I just got bored with that solution. Recently, I have thought I might revive the tradition, for it is quite classy in a way. Also, during the heat it is very comfortable.

However, even when I had my summer whites, I never actually had white shoes. Instead, I paired the whites with brown leather - some of the nicest sandals I ever had, actually (still miss them!). But now when I no longer wear the whites, I happen to own whole two pairs of white shoes, both of which I have been using frequently.

The first pair is from Pons Quintana and was purchased in Luxemburg few years back. They are very very comfortable, because they are hand-woven they adjust to the foot perfectly. The heel is not that high, maybe about 6 cm. They are tied to the feet with long leather cords, and it is up to the wearer if the cord is tight just around the ankle or up the leg. I use both ways depending on what I wear them with. I often pair these shoes with my red linen dress by Armand Ventilo bought during the same trip, or with a white embroidered linen skirt from Laura Ashley that is so sweet.

The other white pair was a gift, a souvenir, from a friend. She visited Pristina in Kosovo where one of her friends was working, and found these beauties in the local market place. She immediately gave me a call when she spotted them, asking me if I want her to bring them to me. Of course I wanted them, for a ridiculous price of 15 euros they were a true bargain, according to her description! And that they were - they are maybe a bit tasteless in a way, but I don't care! Men love them, and also women always notice these shoes :) I often wear them if I go out. The band that would go behind the ankle is too tight so I have placed it over the shoe - it is in fact an unnecessary addition to the shoe.

So these are my two pairs of whites - both quite usable in their own way, and both with some dear memories attached to them.

Ei kommentteja: